Logo

1988 suzuki DT115 won't stay idling

edinct

Engine ran great last season, freshwater flush after each trip, it would stay at idle for as long as we needed. Winterized, and now trying to get it on the water. I have changed plugs, water/fuel seperator (I also poured contents into glass jar and there was no water line, looks like all gas to me) I replaced the bulb and all fuel lines associated with the bulb, drained the carbs, and put fuel line into portable tank with fresh gas, primed the engine and it fired right up, but will only run for a few seconds and than sputter out. Started again and held the choke, and it ran alittle longer, and than sputtered out, I also tried squeezing the bulb while it was starting to die did not really make a difference. I am thinking fuel pump.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
ED

I am thinking it is time to pull the carbs and clean them. When you squeeze the bulb you are forcing fuel into the carb bowls past the fuel pump so it's not the fuel pump.

thanks dockside,
I will hopefully be doing that this weekend. How much work involved in removing them to be able to clean them?
Thanks for any advice.
ED

Well taking the carbs off was more than my mechanical ability, so off to the marina it went. They cleaned/rebuilt the carbs and had to drain about 15 gallons of gas out of the tank to finally get into good gas. My gas had alot of water in it. Took it out last thursday and it ran perfect.

Back