Logo

Removing staggered bolt pattern starter from 1980 Stingray

4maynards

Hello,

I'm trying remove the starter from my 1980 Stingray 3.8l omc sterndrive boat. Here are my problems:

1. The first bolt(the one I can actually see) does not allow me to get a socket on it because it hits against what I think is the flywheel cover. Any ideas on overcoming this? Should I remove the flywheel cover?

2. I cant find the freaking second bolt. Admittedly I'm no mechanic and this may be a very dumb question. However, where the hell is it?

I appreciate your help on this matter and really want to get my boat on the water this weekend. A local mobile repair company was supposed to have completed it for me, but ordered the wrong starter and can't make it out until next tuesday. I located the correct starter and need to get this one out and install the new one. Im jonesing big time (not too mention my wife is riding my butt and the kids are dying to get out).

Thanks,

Dave
1st time boat owner (may be my last)

use a mirror to find the second one i just snip off the ear on the flywheel cover. a thin walled socket is the ticket here and i have been known to grind down a socket or 2.

Thanks for the quick response. It's an awfully tight fit to get a mirror in there. I will have to get a mirror and give it a go.

Does cutting away the cover allow water to get in!

Thanks,

Dave

if your bilge is full of water and that tin cover is absent, then the flywheel tends to paddle the water up the starboard side and soak the starter. A lot of boats don't have the tin cover anymore. It generally comes off to change a starter and rarely goes back on.
I can change my starter in about 20 minutes.
Some hulls you have to pull the engine. all depends on the boat builder's forethought.
As far as the right starter- look at the hi-torque mini starters on eBay. They weigh about half of a conventional starter, and they are sealed by design.... which makes them safe for marine use, although... they aren't stamped SAEJ1171..so the coast guard or marine authorities could still condemn it as a non-marine starter... I have one on my 3.8 though

hang on... 229's aren't staggered

maybe that's why you can't find the other bolt. it isn't staggered at all on your engine.

Back