Logo

1993 two stroke 150 hp oil problem

coastalmanonc

Hi, I am new to the forum and first want to say "Hello" to all. I bought a one owner 21' Wellcraft VSTEP 21 last year which has a Yamaha 150 two stroke motor on it. From the end of the season last year until yesterday the motor ran great. I went down the ICW yesterday running about 4000 rpm most of the way. About two hours away from home the motor started a knocking sound. I powered down immediately and was able to slowly motor to a dock. When we were unable to find the trouble so I had Tow Boat US tow me home. When we took the cover off at home we found the plastic end fitting on the oil control rod to be broken. There is some discussion on whether there was a lack of oil at that point, or whether there was a built in safety that would be giving the engine to much oil. If forum members would give me their thoughts on this I would appreciate that info.
Thanks,
Charlie

If that link rod should become disconnected, that oil pump should rotate itself to the wide open setting.
So in theory there shouldnt be a lack of oil problem, But some pumps have been known not return to that wide open setting.
I would be compression testing and also checking for water on the plugs.

Thanks for your reply! I pulled the boat out of the water yesterday and will be pulling the plugs today. I will have to take it to a local dealer to do the compression check. I'll do that next week. Hopefully, the motor will not have been damaged.
Charlie

If you can pull your spark plugs you can do a compression test. Hit up your local auto parts store like AutoZone and rent there compression tester. You pay for it when you take the tool and they refund your money when you return it.

Back