Logo

1988 OMC 2.3 wiring dilemna oor question

navyrick1960

I recently acquired a 1988 Bayliner Capri with the 2.3L OMC Cobra motor. After finally working out all the kinks with the motor, which now has great compression and is timed correctly (new timing belt and tensioner) I'm at a loss trying to figure out where all the wires on the engine wiring harness belong. I have added new connectors with heat shrink splices and done all of the things to make sure my repairs will last quite a long time. But......Since it was all disconnected at the time I bought it, I have no idea where everything goes. I can crank it over with the key, but cant get the ignition to provide spark. So I guess I'm looking for help in finding....or having someone provide me with an engine harness wiring diagram. I have the diagrams for the dash and all the way to the large main connector that runs to the back of the motor. Yes i can get the motor to crank with the ignition key.....just no spark to plugs....fairly sure once I get the correct wiring configuration I'm good to go. Anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Cant find out for sure til I get all the wires from engine harness to ignition in their correct places. Only the starter circuit was connected when i got it. All of of ignition was disconnected......It also has a new Pertonix ignition module in the distributor. I got the correct wiring for that online from their website. Like i said in my previous post I've repaired all the wires and connectors....just need schematic for correct connection locations. The alternator is also connected correctly.....so mainly an ignition issue

Sorry but I cannot assist you with a wiring diagram, but to see if the engine actually runs, you can hotwire the coil positive to the Battery, and then crank it to start. If it starts, then simply remove the wire from the battery to remove the power to the coil.

Bruce.

Welcome aboard !

and the esa ?

You got the new one with the new electronic dist upgrade.

The wire should actually be cut to length they almost tell you where they go.

What manual you working out of ? None i bet !

You have a pm in one minute

Last edited:
Back