Logo

Yamaha 9.9 Bought on Ebay w/ no tiller/controls

jimd333

I recently bought a 9.9 ELR2K 4 stroke, and for an unexplained reason the seller delivered it with no controls...thereby rendering a chance to run it on the "earmuffs" difficult. Forgot to mention, the engine year is 2006. I would like to know if I take the flywheel shroud off, if I can start the engine manually, with no electrics. I have owned seven outboards over the years of all sizes, but the last one I bought was in the eighties. The changes are quite a shock....do they still use a magneto for spark?

Can someone tell me if there is a way to jump the control pins? Where can I get an owner's manual )not a Seloc) and control tiller at a discount? I just want to verify the basic condition of the engine before, since I was very uncomfortable taking an engine that I have not cranked.

One last question...the seller said he accidentally learned that the crankcase oil will leak out if the engine is transported in the wrong position. Yet another reason to verify there was no damage. What is the correct way to transport, is there a drain plug, or do you have to siphon?

Thank you in advance, Jim

Transport with handle, port side down. You can rope start that on the flywheel. Check oil first. Pull choke to kill it unless there is a lanyard switch in it. You can pull the lanyard. How many connectors in the plug? Did you actually pay for this already? Maybe it's hot.

I paid with paypal protection. The seller has an excellent (though not perfect) feedback record. I can file a complaint which will be arbitrated by paypal. I would think that he would have used Craig's list if suspected to be hot.
It's a 10 pin configuration...3/4/3. Thanks

I guess the seller would be interested in keeping good feedback by helping you out with a control box. Anyway that motor will run just the way it is. Stopping it is the issue without the control. Were you expecting a tiller handle?

Back