Logo

1985 115 inline shuts down.

fetts

had my boat down at the river when experenced sudden lose of power. turned out i lost 3 out of 6 cylinders swaped my switch boxes and sure enough had to replace 1. upon installation of a new box it started right up. Took it to the river and sure enough it wouldnt start no spark/
i remove the black and yellow wires from the switch box and it fired right up. so that told me my key switch circuit was at fault and sure enough it was and i replaced it. go to start it and nothing happens i move the pos. cable on the battery and it cranks over and starts but runs a little erratic but runs for a couple minutes and shuts down. go to start it runs and shuts down again. Could this be a battery issue once started can the pos. cable be removed and the motor still run? I also noticed that the 2 yellow wires from the stator to the voltage regulator get very hot is this a problem? Any ideas out there im getting very frustrated!!!!!!! Thanks When it shuts off its not like sputtering it shuts off like shutting it off with the key.

Last edited:
If you take the battery out of the circuit with the motor running, that usually fries the rectifier--that accounts for the hot yellow wires from the stator.

That motor creates its own power to run the ignition--no battery needed. Try this: Remove (and TAPE) one of the yellow wires out of the stator, then start her up. How does it run now?

Jeff

no luck on removing the yellow wire runs the same for a few minutes and shuts off or if i give it throttle it shuts down right away. if i pull the black/yellow wires off the 2 switch boxes it runs great. those wires are from the off position on the key which doesnt work when i remove those 2 wires naturely. sometimes it wont start at all until i remove the wires black/yellow and as soon as i reattach the wires the key switch will work again. could my new power pack be damaged, also those 2 yellow wires still get allfull hot. Any ideas out there please help!!!!!

figured out the problem the mercury switch was out of the positioning groove and causing the motor to shut down. the yellow wires are still hot i read the ac voltage across them and i got about 20 volts is this normal? The rectifier was putting out about 13 dc volts.

Back