Logo

Electrical Issues.....Help

island_boy

Contributing Member
Well I really did it this time. I was working on my tilt solenoids, and figured one needed replacement. So I took my voltage tester and was checking to see the output on my alternator, it has no voltage regulator This is while it's running. So I touch one probe of the tester to the wire going to the alternator and accidentally touched the block. The engine stopped as if I had turned off the key. I have no power to my ignition switch. My tilt circuit works as well as my interior lights. I have a bank of fuses in the rear of my dashboard inside the boat. I checked all of them with a meter and they are all good. Found no other fuses anywhere. What could I have blown out? Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful, dead in the water.

Is there a red circuit breaker button anywhere on the engine, say, near the area where the shift cables attach? I can't imagine that whatever you did would blow the diodes out of the alternator but I guess it's possible. The thing is that there should be hot current at the ignition switch where the big red wire connects to it. If there isn't then there is a loose connection somewhere, which would certainly put a downer on your boating.

Check the main fuse on the engine block, 50 amp. There may be 2 of them. Course, we don't know what setup u have, so I may be wrong.

yep 2 fuse holders going thru a plate each fuse should have a spring clip holding them together. You can get that fuse at radio shack.

Back