Logo

80hp 2 strk lost spark on two cyl, diagnostic question.

novice_marine

very suddenly lost all spark to number 1 and 2 cylinders, the two farthest away from the flywheel. i have not done any diagnostics yet, first i was going to change out 1 and 2 coils with 3 and 4, known to be good. but i have my doubts that i lost two coils at the exact same time going down the water. my question is, after i verify the coils, is there a way to test the switch box and trigger assemblies simply using a test light and digital multi-meter? thanks.

Top cylinder is #1------------------Test sensor ( trigger ) resistance -------------Switch the 3 and 4 inputs from trigger to #1 and #2 and see what happens.----------------

The same on both circuits. If not, the trigger is shot. If the resistance is the same for both circuits, then the spark box is shot.

Jeff

]Between Brown Trigger Lead and Black Trigger Lead 700-1000 7-10 (R x 100)

Between White Trigger Lead and Violet Trigger Lead 700-1000 7-10 (R x 100)

Here is Trigger Ohms test

Steve

so... only 2 triggers for four cylinders? i'm used to 4 strk engines, are 2 cyl firing at the same time? because one can't fire on exhaust when mate cyl is on compression, there is no upward exhaust stroke. or is there 4 points on the stator that trigger spark?
sorry for possible dumb questions, if theres no pump and injectors i'm a little lost. the last 2 strk i worked on was a Detroit.

Please do not mix automotive trouble shooting with outboard trouble shooting !---------------Magnets in the flywheel and trigger coils work together to fire the cdi box / ignition coils.

way trigger works, lets say 3 and 4 not firing....Here how it works one wire lets say #3 cyl will get neg pulse, and #4 would get positive pulse.....To fire each cylinder.... The trigger has two wires coming out, so if on shorts or goes open system stop working....The trigger must have a path back to trigger, if it can't system fails

Steve

Back