Logo

1998 merc 60hp 2stroke runs strong but !

flyingrib

the other day took her out and ran strong all across the power band from 900 to 5400 rpm.
burned a few gallons of fresh fuel in a few hours with no problems,then I*could get her up to plane and it would bogg down as to be running out of gas. the motor does not stall and can idle along all day without a cough. like I said it ran great for a few hours but ! and yes the fuel systems are clean with new hoses and sqeeze bulb.I am wondering why it runs good and then it wont take throttle.

Step # 1 is always a compression test !!----------------Is this motor running with automatic oil injection ???------------Has oil output been checked ??

oil injection has not been checked but the sight gauge showed some usage from the time the boat was used that day but how much I don't know.as for the compression it was checked by my local dealer last fall and it checked ok, as for the psi on the cylinders not sure

same fuel as when it ran good,also there is no water in the the tank,system is spotless.spark plugs all look the same color,engine fires as soon as you turn the key,runs strong otherwise.this 60 was well taken care of by the original owner.under the hood all wire connections are free of any corosion and are secure.

Take someone in the boat with you....Take a spray bottle with gas, when problem starts spray in each carb and see if this helps....If it does your problem is with that carb

Steve

Back