Logo

Merc 3.5 Carburator issue

BobCat22

I have a 5 year old Merc 3.5, 4 Stroke outboard. Each spring I have to have the Carburator cleaned no matter how I decomm the engine. (Gas in, gas out, fog it, whatever). It really is not a dependable engine. This year it runs OK but as soon as it warms up it stalls. I pull the starter cord again and it starts and runs for less than a minute.
The other day I run the engine at half throttle and it ran without stalling.

Please help me if you can.
Thanks, I frustrated Merc owner. Never again!!!!!!!!
Bob:(:(

Thanks for the advice. I think I solved it... I started the engine and then sprayed the air intake with Carb cleaner. I did this for five minutes, letting the engine almost stall before stopping the spray. It has run fine for the last to
trips to my boat and the engine seems to run faster. Who knows????
Bob

You are having a problem due to fuel evaporation occurring. Running the carb out of fuel is the correct thing to do, but you need to do it correctly. Basically run it in neutral until it wants to die, then tickle the choke, run it, tickle the choke, etc. Eventually it will run the gas all the way out. You can also open that drain screw on the bottom of the carb bowl and get it all out. Also, DO NOT, save and use fuel over 30 days old. It will absorb water and your engine was not designed to run on water:)

Back