Logo

89 evinrude E150STLCEM 150hp intermittent spark

Mike1982

These are the tests I have done below, they were done with the master tech Bill Kelly's site http://www.maxrules.com/trouble.html
The motor has intermittent spark issues which moves all over usually when trying to start it only sparks on one piston then after awhile will start to fire more and sometimes even starts but drops spark on pistons intermittently. The tests I have done below make it look like the power pack or the timer base is bad. I just want to make sure I did them right. Any words of wisdom would awsome at this point.

Power Pack

cyl 1 166 ohms Orange/Blue to Blue (in male 4 pin connector)
cyl 2 136 ohms Orange/Blue to Blue (in Female 4 pin connector)
cyl 3 110 ohms Orange to Purple (in male 4 pin connector)
cyl 4 158 ohms Orange to Purple (in female 4 pin connector)
cyl 5 145 ohms Orange/Green to Green (in male 4 pin connector)
cyl 6 135 ohms Orange/Green to Green (in female 4 pin connector)

The above readings according to the guide should be 110Ohms but also says should be a comparison reading and typical range is 90 to 150 Ohms.

note: The guide says the male 4 pin connector should have the White wire and the female 4 pin connector should have the Black/White but they are opposite. Keep in mind this is a new power pack from last year.

Brown, Brown/Yellow to Ground: Starts high meg ohm then goes Open
Brown/White, Brown/Black to Ground: Starts high meg Ohm then goes Open
Orange, Orange/Black to Groiund: 9.95KOhms this one I am concerned about should be Open or high Meg Ohm

All three reading above should be high Meg Ohms or Open

Note: The above 3 readings were taken by jumping the 2 wires together and reading them to ground. Please correct me if I am wrong but to me thats how it read.

White to ground: .3 ohms shorted Should be Open

Stator

933 Ohms Brown to Brown/Yellow Should be 900 to 1100 Ohms
932 Ohms Brown/White to Brown Black Should be 900 to 1100 Ohms
95 Ohms Orange to Orange/Black Should be 93 to 103 Ohms

Time Base

(4 pin male connector with white wire)
White to Purple 284 KOhms
White to Blue 7.5 MegOhms Second Time 2.8 to 3.3 MegOhms jumps around
White to Green 271 KOhms

(4 pin female connector with Black/White wire)
White to Purple Jumps around from 20 to 25 MegOhms Second Time13 to 16 MegOhms
White to Blue 314 KOhms
White to Green 6 MegOhms a little jumpy

Note: The White to Blue in male connector and White to Purple in female connector give me different reading each time I take them the 3rd time was also different for the 1st or 2nd.

All six reading above should be a comparison test bewteen them and should fall in a typical range of 1M to 5M Ohms. It also says temperature will effect the reading these reading were taken on a cold engine about 60 degrees outside. I checked them again after running it and they are all different again.

White to Black/White 6.5MegOhms a little jumpy Should be 215 to 225 Ohms

I took all 7 reading above from the White wire on the male 4 pin connector that is how it read to me but correct me if I am wrong please.

After testing the motor fired right up without the annoying sparking on only one piston. Yesterday when it ran piston 3 did not spark today it was piston 1 the other day was piston 2. Also noticed the tach was working right away when it started then stopped a few minutes into running. I also just did a J. Reeves Tach test which indicates the tach itself is faulty.

After doing these tests I am not sure what to point at time base or power pack is it possiable that if the time base was bad could it take out the power pack?

Also does anyone know how to test the rectifier?​

Back