Logo

new (used) shift cable assy installed..drive runs backwards??

drewzap

Sigh,

Ok so after solving a long battle with the impellor and cooling issues, I decided to replace the worn shift cable with a good used one I had on my 800. Seemed a fairly easy install, and it popped on nice and smooth, pull the cables and the gears shifted nicely. What i didnt know, is after installing this setup, the gears are now reversed somehow. I found this out by launching the boat, and looking over my shoulder, and putting the selector into what i thought would be reverse to pilot away from the trailer, proceeded to almost run forward into my TRUCK!!!!!
Any clues??? :confused:

Landlocked yet again :(

DZ

What cable the one from the throttle to the shift converter ? Or the lower cable to the drive?

Do us a favor put up in your sig the year of the drive and motor i ain't going to go back in your post looking for the info ?

But without knowing the info the hydro-mechanical cable for the lower is different from a fully mechanical cable.

If you changed out the cable from the throttle then it's a simple matter to put the cable on the throttle in the right hole.

1978-1981 800's were hydromechanical shift
1982-1985 800's were full mechanical

the 2 generations used different cables

I believe reverse shifting is a symptom of having installed a cable from the wrong generation of 800

DOH,
Yeah sorry about that Chiefalen.... Im frustrated again with this thing. Its a mechanical shift, I wanna say 84-85 V6 800. Here's the thing, it worked fine with the other cable, the new assy i used, came off a unit i had on my boat that blew up, but the cable worked fine then. Reading the manual, it states reverve should be when the shift fork is in the upward position. IF this is correct, the drive would turn in a clockwise rotation? This is what i get from tracking the crankshaft thru the intermeidiate, the transfer from the ball gears to the upper, through the upper to the lower.
Has to be the wrong cable...but i cant imagine that it would be as it worked on the old outdrive also...
I will get the part numbers off the housing and cable.. maybe there is a clue there
Apparently the cable is no longer being made new????
Drew

Hystat,
do you know if there are different part numbers for the shift cable housings?? perhaps that is where the issue lies? I have another outdrive assy that had the cable cut, Perhaps i sould see if it has the same part number or not.

I don't know about the housing numbers.

0982563 CABLE ASSY. is the 82-85 mechanical cable
0981394 CABLE ASSY is the earlier hydromechanical cable

The link will give clear instructions on how to install, i got your pm. The thing is the unit you hung on the back might be the wrong unit.

Easy way to tell the anoid behind the holes no anoid a hydro unit - yes anoid the fully mech. unit.

My speeling sucks

Understand ?

Chiefalen and Hystat,

Thanks again for your help.. If you were closer I'd buy the beer.

The cable number on my installed one is 982795 which apparently is for a Hydromechanical shift..as Hystat said.
My dumbass threw the old, stiff yet functioning cable assy out, so now i am doomed to search for another used of the correct gen or by another boat..unless the cables are interchangeable on the housings????

UGH
Drew

Back