Logo

Need help with year for a 40hp Mariner Outbourd

justboughtboat

I just bought a 40 hp mariner outboard motor.

The tag say 40EL Code 6E9L Serial 420721

Made in Japan.

Can anyone identify the year? How can I find an owner's manual for it?

Is it a 40C EL or a 40EL?

Original post says,
The tag say 40EL Code 6E9L Serial 420721
I'll be honest, i'm not 100 % sure about this myself as I'm still trying to figure out how to determine the difference between the years and models, ect. If I can't cheat and use the merc system then the only other way to look them up is to use the links we are using.;)

But from my understanding (and I could be wrong) is it kind of appears to me that we should kind of ignore the ( C ) (other wise known as the "C" model engine) even if the O.P does not say if he has a "C" or not in their serial number (With this style engine anyway). I'm only basing this info off of what I believe I have seen in the past while reading these boating forums.

And I'll use the legendary Graham as an example in the link below. In this link you will notice the O.P never said anything about having a "C" in his EL Serial number, But Graham came in later and said it appears he has a "C" engine.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...5418-Impeller-kit-for-1986-40-hp-EL-twin-carb
lol, Now to add to the link above Merc has that engine registered as a 1987 MARINER SANSHIN 40 ELO Model number 7040717.:confused: So either that link is wrong or merc is wrong.:p But maybe that link above may be just close enough to help figure out justboughtboat question?

Do you or anyone else know of anything different with justboughtboat question?:confused:

This is kind of cool, If you happen to know the Model number of the engine, You could find the year as well in the link below.
http://www.marinepartsman.com/Mariner-outboard-model-to-year-reference-guide.html

justboughtboat, After further checking the Model number (7040716) I posted above, That number does not appear to be the correct number for your serial number, It belongs to a 1986 ELO style engine. Sorry about that.:eek: Also I want to apologise as I know this is extremely confusing.:(

Back