Logo

2004 2 stroke 25hp Yamaha noisey topside?

guido2

Regular Contributor
Hi, need some advice on this 2004 mint condition Yamaha.
Took it in on a trade deal and it runs pretty good except the rubbing or dragging noise from powerhead/flywheel area. Also when you pull it to start, the trigger/stator plate pulsates as the flywheel turns, (see photo). There are no filings around and it doesn't have a knock. I've pulled the flywheel and see no apparent problem. What does the little dashpot do below the flywheel on the starboard side? Does it stabilize or dampen the stator arm? 2004 Yamaha 25.jpg
Has anyone run into this as I am not very experienced with Yamaha outboards? I also see that someone has broken off the idle mixture needle in the lower carb. Any ideas for extraction? It idles too lean. I spend my hours on OMC and Mercury equipment. I think Yamaha is a very excellent product.
ps. I've posted this question on I-boats but not much interest to help me. Will see if Marine Engine is any better. Thanks, Tim

That is normal on this model.... For dashpot it's job is when you pull you thottle back fast, it's job is to stop motor from stalling...(stop throttle plate from slam shut to hard...

Steve

Ok, thanks. i've created a bit tighter clearance on the stator plate pivot sleve and cleaned any traces of rust from around the flywheel, also elliminated most of the side play in the stator arm at the dashpot using a thin stainless steel washer. I'll give it another try now. Thanks, Tim

yamaha 25 2004 2cycle 005.jpgyamaha 25 2004 2cycle 002.jpgyamaha 25 2004 2cycle 004.jpgyamaha 25 2004 2cycle 001.jpgOk, update. Got it running great, the needle valve in the lower carb was closed completely, then broken off. Got it backed out 2 turns to match with the upper carb. Then decided to paint it up nicely because it had some cracks and scratches in the cowling. Used custom mixed/match acrylic enamel with hardner. I told the buyer about the inherant noise from engine topside and that it was common for this motor. I think it is amplified by the bell shaped recoil casting also. He seemed ok with it and accepted my 1 year warrantee to cover any problems. Sold it for 1,500 and had 5 other Craigs list callers within 24 hours of listing it. Thanks and here is photo of the finished product.

Back