Logo

Stringer 800...mistake?

ArizonaSeaRay

Hi all,

First of all I have been reading all the posts. You guys are great for answering all us newbies' questions. Here is mine. I recently bought an '83 SeaRay SRX192. It has the 3.8l OMC with the 800 stringer outdrive. I got receipts with the boat that the lower gearcase was rebuilt to the tune of $1500.00 worth in December. I took the boat out a few times and it ran great but shifted a little hard. Then, 2 weeks ago, it started making a racket from the lower unit. Pulled the drain plug and found a gear tooth among other metallic debris. I took the boat up to Phoenix to the guy that rebuilt the unit and he said he would look at it in a couple of weeks. After looking around at his shop, I decided I would only be throwing good money after bad with him and brought the boat back home. I looked around and have seen the rebuilt lower units for as much as $1600.00. So, I ordered a used lower gearcase out of Ohio for 650.00 and will throw that in next week. I also tore down the upper gearcase, installed a new impeller and seal kit. Everything else up there looked fine. I'm not a bad mechanic but this stuff is all new to me. I have the manuals. My question is this....did I make a mistake buying a boat with the 800 stringer unit? What problems are they known for and are there simple fixes to keep you off the trailer and on the water. I'm already missing Memorial Day and don't want to miss out on too much more this season. Should I just slap in the new(used) lower gearcase and put a For Sale sign on it? Any clear advice you can give me is appreciated.

Did the "Mechanic" give you any warranty?

There is no really good reason why the gear should have come to pieces, unless it wasn't put back together correctly, or bad parts were used, or the wrong lubricant was used. Or a mixture of all.

I too wouldn't be happy with his attitude of putting you off for the two weeks.

Bruce.

Listen he didn't shim it right so now you in trouble.

You need a fully mechanical lower unit for the cable to work right.

I see them on ebay all the time.

There are places you can send away the unit and have it rebuilt

I know I will here negative feedback on this but here it goes.
Don't put anymore money in that obsolete drive system. Save your money and get a newer boat with a mercruiser drive. There are a lot of boats out there for sale ready to run for a few $2-4K

There are people here pulling out Mercruiser Stern Drives and fitting Outboards to their Fibreglass hulls.

Bruce.

PS. Couldn't do that with mine, except go for a bigger engine. Bigger than the Buick V6 that is.

There are people here pulling out Mercruiser Stern Drives and fitting Outboards to their Fibreglass hulls.

Bruce.

PS. Couldn't do that with mine, except go for a bigger engine. Bigger than the Buick V6 that is.

We have an abundance of good used Merc Parts here. Where you are living, I am assuming, they are not as easily available.

I recently bought an '83 SeaRay SRX192. It has the 3.8l OMC with the 800 stringer outdrive.
I got receipts with the boat that the lower gearcase was rebuilt to the tune of $1500.00 worth in December.
These drives were/are so problematic, that it is almost always a crap shoot with them.
The OMC company folded up in 1993, when it was taken over by Volvo Penta.

Pulled the drain plug and found a gear tooth among other metallic debris. I took the boat up to Phoenix to the guy that rebuilt the unit and he said he would look at it in a couple of weeks. After looking around at his shop, I decided I would only be throwing good money after bad with him and brought the boat back home.
Yes.... good call!

My question is this....did I make a mistake buying a boat with the 800 stringer unit?
Yes.... quite honestly and sadly, you made a mistake in buying any OMC drive.
Had you researched this prior, you may have made a different decision.

What problems are they known for and are there simple fixes to keep you off the trailer and on the water.
No simple fixes, and no inexpensive fixes.
I'd cut my losses, and move on.

I know I will here negative feedback on this but here it goes.
Don't put anymore money in that obsolete drive system. Save your money and get a newer boat with a mercruiser drive.
I can echo Chris, with exception to the Merc.
I'd go Volvo Penta.

And I'll apologize to you that this sounds terribly harsh, but I'd rather give you an honest opinion!
I think that I can speak for Chris on that as well.

Now.... if for some reason you decide to repower this boat, you'll need to know that the Stringer Drive did not require a structural transom.
Some makers did use a structural transom.... some did not.
If you were to absolutely love this boat, and decide to repower, the transom cut-out area not only needs to be structural, but must be reduced in size.... of which means an infill of the core and hull shell material. (i.e., fiberglass and core material work)

Many have done this, but today, given the value of a '83 SeaRay SRX192, it may be cost prohibitive.
That would be your call!

Wish you the best. :D

odd thread. Of all of the shortcomings of a stringer equipped boat, the 800 mechanical lower isn't really one of them. They are sort of the Muncie M22 of boating. gears and bearings = Same guts as the Evinrude Johnson V6 lowers.... it's the cable/shift concept that is goofy.
I'd recommend a good used one from a fresh water environment.... pm me if interested - I have two here.

In the USA, I'd only go one way if used boat shopping - Mercruiser Alpha One/ Chevy 5.7 V8
SEI has reshaped the industry... hmm maybe they should use that as a slogan!

$333/season and you can always have a brand new drive under warranty - for life!

New drive = $1500 - use it 3 years
sell it for $500
buy another....

Volvo AQ series are just too exotic.... they are great, but when they break, parts can cost 5X the price of Merc stuff. and I like power trim.

I have a 1975 Deckboat with an OMC stringer. I have owned this boat probably about 20 to 25 years. It is definitely worth keeping if you like the boat. If you can do your own work like I do just make the repairs and get her floating again and enjoy!

Last edited:
Back