Logo

How may I raise engine after tilt/trim system failure?

Plufis

Hi i am a new to the forum and grateful for any advise on this issue.

2000 yamaha outboard: tilt/tirm system has complete failure and is in the max down position.

What is the method to raise it up so i can set the engine on the the little travel locks and begin troubleshooting and serving the tilt trim system?

Right now it just seems stuck in the down position, we tried to lift it but something is putting up tremendous resistance. We got the bright idea to remove the lower mounting pin. We lifted the motor right up until the oil reservoir and motor impinged on the top of the engine mount yoke. The center tilt ram will not move. I am at a loss, please advise and thanks.

On the side of the engine mount there is a hole with a flat screw. The screw is a release valve for the hydraulics. Loosen the screw and you will be able to lift the engine.

We managed to get the engine raised and locked in the up position. Discovered the hydraulic oil is emulsified and that the fluid reservoir is cracked along the seam. ( its plastic) Yamaha list the part number as 64E-4828-00-00 and the cost at 174.00 dollars, however the parts page also lists it as "obsolete" so I am wondering how to replace that cheap plastic reservoir.
Does anyone know if Yamaha has an alternative replacement part for it?

i'm sure that part is out there especially used but that is the beginning of getting your system working. Remember to only fill oil when tilted up.

Thanks for that, I was wondering if i needed to hold it all the way up before starting to fill it. The thing that has me worried is that the twin trim pistons are in the fully retracted position. If I fill it with fluid I hope it will push the pistons out and allow me to add more without damaging the pump. If that makes sense?

All rods need to be fully extended when oil level is checked for full, ready to run back out of the fill port.

Back