Logo

exhaust leak - 2006 DF150

John W

Hello, I am new to this forum & hoping for some insights into a problem I'm having. I have a 2006 model Suzuki DF 150 that I purchased in Feb 2007. The motor has had very little use...about 180 hours since new...but has been serviced annually since new, run on the hose every couple of weeks when not used, and flushed after using.

Anyway, today I had the boat out and exhaust note does not sound right. I come to discover a hole in the side of the fiberglass/plastic material covering the middle of the engine, below the flush port. The hole is larger than a penny, smaller than a nickel. Exhaust was blowing out of the hole; exhaust heat has melted the cover & created the hole.

I'll be taking it to a dealer tomorrow...but any thoughts on what this problem might be? Clearly, there is a leak inside the motor allowing hot exhaust to go where it shouldn't. I am shocked to see a problem like this on a 4 year old motor with such limited hours' usage.

Thanks,

John

From what I've read over the last five years, exhaust leaks from corrosion is a lot more common in four strokes than we'd like. The best solution I've seen was to have a good welder patch the hole, it costs hardly anything.

-E

Back