Logo

Need help identifying this REALLY old johnson motor.

Scott7822

I have been trying to do some research on the internet with no luck. I was wondering if anybody could tell me what year and horsepower this motor is! Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Serial # - J2561477
Model # - MQ-11C

Thank you very much!

1965 9.5 hp.

I have a question, Why with all the used modern engines available at very low prices, would you consider trying to repair a 45+ year old engine?

Because this has been in the family for 45+ years, and it means alot to our family. I am not repairing this, it is all original and starts up every year on the first pull. It is a very nice little motor that still does a GREAT job.

Dockside...some of us like old motors. Parts are available, and you don't need a lot of fancy equipment to repair them. I'm collecting 1958 Evinrudes, just because I started with one 30 some years ago, and it still starts and runs well. Tell me a newer motor with still be running 53 years from now.

I did not know this was a family heirloom.

I don't see the point in picking up an pre-1980's outboard and dumping a pile of money into it. I am not talking about collectors. I am talking about the general public.

I did not know this was a family heirloom.

I don't see the point in picking up an pre-1980's outboard and dumping a pile of money into it. I am not talking about collectors. I am talking about the general public.

They just don't make motors today like they used to either. Like Bill was saying, I will put money down that a brand new motor won't be running without being wrenched on in 46 years.

From my stand point rebuilding the vintage motors is very practical because of the lower prices to comparative newer motors and the incredible availability and support in parts for them.
Here are link to Parts and Manuals

If it has not been installed , you might want to find a " vibration damper kit " for the 65 --9.5 HP---------------They suffered from too much shaking of the powerhead at idleand the carburetor could not handle that.Likely has had the coils replaced by now as they all cracked.--------------Nice fishing motor.

If it has not been installed , you might want to find a " vibration damper kit " for the 65 --9.5 HP---------------They suffered from too much shaking of the powerhead at idleand the carburetor could not handle that.Likely has had the coils replaced by now as they all cracked.--------------Nice fishing motor.

As far as I know, this is a 100% original motor. I am going to have my girlfriend's grandpa look at this motor, seeing as how he is a marine engine fanatic. He will be able to tell me if they have been replaced! Thank you for the heads up Racerone!

Im trying to rebuild an old 60's model johnson 20hp but the supergenuis before me painted over or peeled off the model tags. Is there a specific part I can cross a number on to find the excact model and year number. I took 10 numbers(mostly 308xxxx) to the parts house and they said they were all casting numbers and couldn't help me. I am a new member and would appreciate any insight.

If we dont rebuild the old stuff who will??????

Back