Logo

1995 30 HP starting problems

Gatekeeper

Hello everyone great site. I have just bought a new/used 1995 mercury 30 hp tiller. It didn't have a owners manual with it and the previous owner isn't here anymore. It has a primer button on the top of the cowl and don't know if I should press 3 times or press and hold for 10 seconds?? The motor fires up when starting cold then dies. Then it is crank crank crank before it starts. Once it is warm it starts right up everytime no problems. I just changed the plugs and think that there is a simple trick to get the fuel to the pistons without flooding it.

Thanks for the help and happy boating everyone.

Steve

Is there a serial # on this motor---------------You must post information like that.-----------------Pump bulb 4 or 5 times -----------Pressing and holding for 10 seconds does nothing I believe.---------------------When motor starts you may have to pump that primer untill it warms up / smoothes out.

Last edited:
Racerone - the number for the motor is og267362. Once is has started it is ok and can kept it running until she is warmed up it is just getting it to fire after the first time it turns over.

Yes electric start. I know that there must be a knack to it. It is just finding out what is the best way I am going to give them all a try and will let you know the results.

Ok here are the results. Pumped the primer 4 times after the bulb on the gas line was pumped full. Then putting just a little pressure on the primer started the motor and it fired right up and stayed running. It did stall when I trying to give it some fuel from the handle. Press the primer one time and held pressure and it started right up and did not stall again.

From now on I think that I will use the primer to keep her running in the first min or so if she starts to sound like she is going to quit. I think that the auto choke needs to work it stuff and it just needs to run before the handle gets hit. Once I can tell that the choke is coming off then use the handle to get it warmed up more before heading out.

The motor runs like a bear and I am really happy with it.

Thanks so much it really helped!!!

Steve

Back