Logo

Help with some crazy boat wiring

Arkman

I have a 1968 mercury 20hp outboard that is ready for the electric start to be hooked up. Its all in working order I just don't have any switches or anything like that hooked up.

Let me start by saying that I know this isn't the easiest way to do this. I could spend $15 bucks and buy a push to choke key switch and call it a day, and I will if there is no way to get this to work, BUUUUUT. I'm almost certain this would work, I just don't know how :confused:
I'm trying to do something I think a little unconventional simply because I think it would be fun. Now, I know that I could just hook up a key, but what would the fun of that be?

The ideal sequence for starting the motor would be:

1. Flip the ignition switch to on or "run" or whatever. (something like a toggle switch)

2. Flip the choke to on (or hold if its momentary). (Toggle or momentary switch)

3. Push start button. Engine starts(hopefully ) (A push button switch)

4. Flip/release choke switch.

5. Then when I need to turn the engine off I just flip the ignition to the off position.

Basically I want three different items. Start switch, ignition toggle switch, and choke switch/button. Does this make sense? Here is a link to my wiring diagram.

I can't quite figure out what needs to happen where. If you look at that diagram the button named "ignition starting button" seems to be the kill switch in my motor. Thats one item that is confusing to me. One other main difference is that the diagram assumes that I have an external wire harness that plugs into an internal harness. I'm unable to find that external harness (boat side i think its sometimes called) for any kind of reasonable price. So I'm just going to hardwire it straight from the switches to the motor.

Basically I'm hoping that you guys could tell me what color wire to hook up to what switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Back