Logo

TAMD31P oil blow by issue? Help?

tzieli22

Have a question regarding this. Long story - I have a 31' Uniflite with twin's with about 650 hours on each engine, putting the boat in the water this year for the season and had to replace a water pump on the port side. After this work, I started out for a water test and got about a mile out and Starboard engine overheated. Turned out to be raw water impeller. Replaced that and back out for another water test. After about 7 miles starboard engine low oil light and alarm came on. I shut the engine down and opened up the hatch to see oil blown out all over the place. After a few choice words and thoughts I headed back to the harbor (idling with port engine) once the starboard engine cooled a bit, I filled the oil with another 8 1/2 quarts. Started the starboard engine and ran back to the harbor at about 2500 rpms with no issues. Turns out the engines have two dip stick tubes and the one not used had a bolt in it which blew out and the oil flew all over.

After cleaning the engine room as best I could I stopped by to talk to the local shop and he tells me "sounds like my engine has a blow by issue and I should pull the valve tube off that goes into the air filter and check for air pressure build up and if I do have this I have bad rings and the engine will need a ring job. I tested it and sure enough I have pressure build up at an idle. But it's this way on both engines. My shop guy told me there should be no pressure on this tube and if I do its because of the rings. After asking him what would cause this he told me the engines could be over-propped most likely and I could have messed the engines up. I was informed doing a ring job on these engines can be as much as $7 to $9 grand (Alaskan rates) per engine.

Any help, in-site, opinion etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

A small amount of pressure is normal, that is why the tube is there. If the rings were bad, oil and steam would be coming out. Vibration may have caused the oil suction tube to work loose and spew oil. This is not uncommon on diesels in general. It sounds like you caught the overheating and low oil in time. The alarm should go off before damage is done. If the engine was over propped, you would not be able to reach max RPM's on the engines. At 650 hours, your engines should be just broken in. Top off all fluids, tighten all hoses and go for a test ride. Keep and eye on gauges. If oil pressure is good and you are not spewing black smoke, you are fine. My 2 cents.

Slight blow by is normal, the more comp. loss down the sides of pistons the worse the problem. There is a limit, alittle is very normal. Worn ring is only on high hour engines, broken ring can accure from overheating or use of starting fluids? Frozen rings, drylock, not usually the case. Damaged cyls. or burnt pistons, #1 for severe blowby. So if running smooth and blowby is low don't worry. Your alarm saved you.

Back