Logo

yamaha fix hard starting 9.9

snascar2424

I had a hard starting 9.9 but not anymore, I got tired of the electric choke working crappy. I'am a machinest and machined up a manual choke and fitted it to the air horn. I tested and what a difference that made with the first turn of the key she fired right off. I going to start making these for retrofit on the 9.9's that have electric choke. I believe from 98-2003 yamaha was still using this carb setup. I think the main problem with the electric choke is the passage for fuel enrichment may be so small*thats its*hard to get really clean. I hate engineers that try to out smart the industry with a solenoid thats hard to adjust and even harder to keep clean. I have seen a lot of post on this issue and hope to market this in the coming weeks. I will have to machine your airhorn and send it back then you will just have to drill a small hole for the rod to go thru. In the morning you just push the choke on then pull to about half way a wait for the motor to warm up. If you are interested in this fix contact me [email protected]. I have seen guys saying the would buy* new carb but the problem most likely will return later. The only way to fix the problem forever is to out fit it with a real choke.
Oh some shops can fix the problem but it will return and you will pay again to fix it. The way i have it you eliminate the electric choke by unplugging it. If you try to run it with the electric choke hooked up it won't run very good at all. I just looking to see right now if their is interest in the fix if not i got mine fixed at least.

The cost is 125.00 you will have to pull the air horn and send it in. We should have parts mfg in a couple of weeks. If you want more info call me at the shop monday 8:00 am to further discuss. I can tell you i just got fed up with the hard starting and this fixed the problem right now. This is a cnc machined and laser cut choke that will not fail you unlike the electric choke. I was willing to buy a new carb until i got the price and that cured that idea. I would have to guess that even if you do get it started it like to die when put in gear. However once you do get it warmed up runs great all day. I'am heading out for spring chinnok fishing this morning in portland oregon so keep that in mind when you call. I don't currently have a visa machine yet but if I keep getting e-mail like your I will get one. Thanks for the interest in this new product.

scott
ALLIED SCREW MACHINE WORKS
BORING,OR

i rebuild more yamaha and honda carbs then the rest

you can use the 8hp carb, it has a real choke

the primer valve system was for emmisions!

What year carb and is it a direct bolt on. what's the cost more important 350+? I prefer the old school method of choking a carb, You can flood the motor but what the heck. Do you like the starter set valve or are the just junk?

starter valve is crap

no the carb i think is like 250

but you guys with the 9.9, all you need to do is pump the throttle 2 times, it has an accelerator pump!

Well at least someone will admit the start valve is crap. I see your point about a new carb but everything I've seen is well over 339.00 new. I would love it if i could make it electric and turn the key for choke but this engine is so cold blooded. I only need to choke once a day then it's fine the rest of the day. I even have the boat in a heated shop to 69 degree's and it still won't start very easy.

sounds like you need to rebuild the carb or the primer systems is failed

mine starts every time, but use it 2 times a week

Bringing up this old thread.
Scott, if you still doing this mod, please let me know.
I like your solution.
Sent you an email.

Mine in my username followed by @yahoo.com

Back