Logo

6v-92 starting problems

Silvor

hi everyone...... I am trying to get my bosses boat started..... it has a pair of 6v-92's in it..... the port side one just clicks... the starboard motor starts no trouble..... anyways..... i want to bypass the solenoid to see if it is what is faulty..... i need to know which terminal to put the power to..... the one going into the side of the starter or the one going into the back???? thanks in advance
confused?

A typical Delco-Remy set up would consist of the solenoid piggybacked to the starter motor. The positive battery cable would be connected to one terminal of the solenoid and the other terminal of the solenoid would be connected to the side terminal on the starter case. That is where 12v is delivered, through the solenoid, to turn the starter motor.

If you apply power at the terminal in the side of the starter case, you will only be powering the starter motor and it will spin. That would indeed prove that the motor was working but, unless you engage the starter pinion with the solenoid or by hand, the engine will not crank.

The stud sticking out of the back of the starter case is where the negative battery cable is attached. Applying power there would cause a dead short to ground and you would not enjoy the experience.

Hope this is what you needed.

Back