Logo

turning slow and firing problems

cemrick

i have a 1983 90 hp outboard that to begin with i had starter selinoid problem and fixed that. it wont turn over fast unless the plugs are out and when the plugs are in it turns little by little. well now ive tested the plugs and no fire. changed pulgs because i wasnt sure when the motor was serviced last and that didnt fix the problem. should i move to the coilpacks or the power boxes? im just working my way through the engine slowly but surely and not sure what to check next.
thank you for any help ahead of time,
charles

Let me expand on Dockside's good advice. If cleaning doesn't fix the problem, then consider changing the battery cables. They can get corroded inside, especially around saltwater. Also, be sure to clean thoroughly the positive connection to the main starter, the starter solonoid ground, and the starter ground. Most starters depend on the mounting bolts to supply the ground. If they are loose, or have oil on them, you may not have a good ground connection there.

No do not go to the coil packs! You need to get the motor spinning full speed with the plugs in before you do any further testing. It would also help to identify the type of motor, 2 or 4 stroke, Manufacturer, year. we need to know if it is an old magneto based motor or a modern electronic ignition motor. If it's magneto the speed of the flyweel rotation generates the spark so slow = no spark, if it's electronic slow = low voltage and low voltage= no spark.

You will probably get a better answer if you move this to the specific forum for your motor i.e. Merc, Johnson etc.

its a 1983 evinrude 4 stroke 90 hp motor. it is an older one that ignites off the magento. where the top spins the coils have a greenish film on them. i was told that should b a copper color not green and that may b part of my problem but i cant get the top off so i ccn get to it easliy. i got the top nut off but the top wont budge.

You are still looking in the wrong direction. Work on the battery cables and starter. It needs to spin at full speed before you look elsewhere.

there was a problem with the starter i had bought. it now spins fast with the plugs in. there is no spark but the magneto base is really filthy. it has greenish tint to is as if its corroded. what should i do to clean the film off of it? and should i take the top off to get to it better?

Back