Logo

Evinrude 9.9 w/o ID Plate - Please help me to ID

gorf37

Hi there,

I got my first outboard from my dad who got it from an acquaintance with whom we've lost touch. I'd like to buy a maintenance manual, but can't figure out the year. The ID plate is missing, so the only things I have to go-on are the decals on the cowl and the aluminum tag on the engine block.

The engine block tag reads: C0055395

The cowling is as shown in this picture:

http://media.onekit.ca/uploads/img/56/004/504/kijiji.ca-cars_4504804.jpg

Thank you for your help!

Gorf

That looks to me to be in the mid to late 1970's. See if the engine has freeze plugs, they often have the serial number stamped onto them. If that's where you got that number from then it should be the serial number, on the other hand it could be a part number if it was just a tag. At any rate the engine did not likely change much through those years. I like Clymer manuals, they cover engine families for a generation at a time. That is to say they might cover many similar models for as long as they remained the same. In many cases (back then) engines remained much the same for 10 years or more. You may need the model number to know for sure as OMC among others designated year models in the model number (which would be on the identification plate). If you have the time you could look through diagrams to see if your parts are the same as the ones depicted for a given model. I would start at 1978 and work my way back. Look at things like fuel system and electrical or ignition parts as they change more frequently.

Hi Dockside Marine,

Thanks for the quick reply. I took the motor to my local shop, and they said "about a '79", so indeed, agreeing with your assessment. I will see what I can find in Clymer manuals. Thanks again!

Gorf

Back