Logo

ARCO single wire alt troubleshoot NO charge

Dtech

Hello everyone,
I have a 88' bayliner with 5.7 v8 engine. I recently changed over my alternator from a 2 wire to a single wire one(arco). I currently have no charge to the battery..
Engine wires: Red, purple, pink.
Hooked the red one to the single alt terminal. Where do the purple and pink wires go now? Did I hook the wrong one up to the alt?
It also came with a seperate ground wire, not sure I need it as I thought this type grounds through the alt mounting bolt/bracket?
Any help will be greatly app.. :confused:
Thanks, -Dtech

Red to the alternator's output...the other two should be taped up and then taped or tywrapped to the harness.

It is good practice to add the dedicated ground wire as the mounting bracket path is subject to corrosion. redundancy is never a bad idea on a boat.

Some of the 1-wire types need to be 'rev'ed up' before they will produce any output. You need a good DVM at a minimum to assess the alternator's function

ok. Wiring was correct atleast. I will add on the extra ground. I hooked my DVM to the battery terminals, revved it up to about 2000 rpms and held it there but battery did not seem to be rising above 12.08v. Maybe the break-even point is higher than I thought?
Was not running any extra accessories at the time. It wasn't really loosing any voltage though...

Back