Logo

71 92 series differences?

hogdogs

What are the differences in the 71 and 92 series detroits? I am currently in a debate with a person of much less engine interest. He does think he knows alot more about diesels than he really does.

Since he drove trucks for a living (never wrenched on the drive lines) he thinks he knows all about all things diesel.

I have always been under the impression that the main difference was cubic inches per cylinder. I was also under the impression that much of the parts are interchangeable. This wouldn't be true if the guy were right... He says one is far more modern in technology and the other is an older design.

So what are the differences? Who, then, is closer to correct.

Brent

The short answer? He is.

I "wrenched" on both for many years and don't, by any means, consider myself an "ex-spurt" on either engine but The 92 IS indeed a later, updated (supposedly) , design intended to essentially replace the 71 series.

I know of no parts between the two that were meant to be interchangeable.

I always thought that the 71 was more rugged and reliable but I'm sure others will disagree.

G'day,

The 92 series is a vee type with a 5'' stroke same as the prior 71 series but rebored to 92 cu'' intro in the mid 70s to many modifications to be called interchangeable latter models have black boxes & diminished reliability followed. Both of you are close to the target --- SHARE--the BEER..or go toe to toe your choice.

Back