Logo

Oil Level on DF 140

west500

I just changed the oil and filter on the 2005 DF 140. I added 5.8 qts as specified in owners manual and the oil level on dipstick looks to be 1/2 to 3/4 overfill. Is the the normal for the oil to look like it is overfilled.
Thanks in advance,
West 500

5.8 Qt is full capacity supposing you got every drop. Before I change oil I like to run the engine for about 5 min to warm up the oil and then leave the engine tilted about 1/2 way up for about 10 min so it all gets to the bottom. Once you fill it with oil it will read high by a pint or so until you run the engine and fill the filter. After you run the engine you could tilt it up 1/2 way and let it sit for a while then level it off and check it. The checkered part of the dipstick represents one quart of oil. For example if you're at the middle you're a 1/2 Qt low. I like it about 3/4 up the checkered part. To answer your question, Yes it is common for the oil to read like this right after you change it if you have'nt run the engine. And you might have overshot it by a pint for not getting it all out. This is most common when using an oil extractor rather than pulling the drain plug. The engine will run fine with a whole extra Qt. (an inch above the checkered section of the dipstick) but just the same it's probably best that you get the level right. The DF 140 is a solid motor.

Back