Logo

2002 115 hp Merc will not run

mramsey52

I have a 115 hp (2002) Mercury 2 stroke 4 cylinder that will not run. When it is primed with gas it will start but will not run. I have changed all the fuel filters, rebuilt the fuel pump, and drained all the gas and put in fresh gas. It acts like it is starving for fuel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gas tank vent line,possible clog.Any inline connectors? Remove them or replace.
Does the squeezie go flat?They can be bad /new.J

The reserve oil tank is pressurized from a line attached to the starboard side of the power head. There is a check valve that supplies air to the oil tank while the engine is running and lets the air out of the tank when you shut it down. When this valve gets clogged it does not let the pressure out of the oil tank and it will push oil into the carbs and over oil them when the engine is off making for hard starting. This valve cannot be cleaned if clogged and must be replaced. It is a simple fix and it cost around $15.00

Try to include serial#s when you post.That way we know for sure what motor were working on.
And fill out the profile,you might be close to someone who can help.J

Thanks for the replies. I have updated my profile. The motor info is 2002 115 hp Mercury ELPTO 2 stroke, 4 cyl. Serial Number OT527649. I think I am going to gp back to the beginning of my trouble shooting and hookup a portable fuel tank to see if it will run from there. Hopefully that will either eliminate or confirm problems from the fuel tank to the motor, possibly a bad anti siphon valve or fuel pickup line in the tank. I will check the the check valve for the oil tank to see if it it clogged.

Ok. I hooked up a portable tank and still having the same problem. I guess I can eliminate fuel tank to motor problems. I am now going to start pullung and checking fuel lines to see if any are clogged unless anyone else has any suggestions. I will check the the check valve on the power head also.

If the fuel line is the Mercury small diameter gray line, take a look inside it. The liner will come loose from the case and collapse restricting fuel flow.

Back