Logo

Egine Bogging Down Under Load 1992 115 hp

captb

Contributing Member
I bought an older Wellcraft with a 115 2 stroke Yamaha, both '92 models. The first time it was run this season was the end of February and it had not been run since August. The carburetors were rebuilt in November in anticipation of the previous owner using for the later winter fishing season. He never did and decided to sell.

The first time we ran it, it did great. The second time when I went to put it back on the trailer, it bogged down and choked off. I ended up winching it up on the trailer because I didn't know what was wrong.

Since then, I tinkered with adjusting the carbs. without much difference in the performance. When you take off after idling a little bit, it would bog down, then take on off. Loading it on the trailer, same deal. If you didn't play with the throttle, it would choke off.

So, last Sunday, I'd had enough and took the carbs. off and cleaned them as thoroughly as I could and reassembled.

Took it out after church and it did fine for the first 15 minutes, then back to the same thing.

What in the world?! Where do I start? My dad says its just a fuel adjustment, the engine's getting too much fuel, but I'm not sure. We some what mechanically savvy, but we're not experts by any means.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas? Oh yeah, I've been running sea foam in the gas since I got it to clean it up (hey, I think the stuff works)

Thanks, Brandon

Re: Egine Bogging Down Under Load

If the fuel bulb is staying round when this happens, Remove the carbs one more time. remove the fuel bowls, remove the floats and the needle valve. and blow the dirt from the needle side back out of the fuel inlet nipple. Bet you a beer that is what the problem is.

Thanks!

I'll do that and report back. I expect a beer if you're right.

Brandon

Guess that was it. Did just that and it runs like its supposed to.

Here's a question for those that probably know better than I do. What's the difference in the 115 and the 130? Is it just the carbs, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for the help, B

Guess that was it. Did just that and it runs like its supposed to.

Here's a question for those that probably know better than I do. What's the difference in the 115 and the 130? Is it just the carbs, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks for the help, B

Glad you are up and running.

Back