Logo

looking for advice

eRock

hey there new to the forum here looking for some help i have a mid 80s yamaha 30 hp tripple 2stroke i have issues with it after it has been running for a while. it starts ok cold and seems to have lots of power doesnt drink all that much fuel i can rip across the lake full throttle its good but after it comes back down to a slow idle tll stall and i cant get er back running for the life of me what a pain in the ass when youre in the middle of the lake wondering if there is any where to start to look. i really dont know too much about two stroke engines yet. any help is appreciated

When it dies on you have you checked for spark?

Is the fuel squeeze bulb staying round?

Next time you are running the boat take the engine cover off. Check the things listed above. Also when it stalls immediately pull the spark plugs and check them for water.

ok yes the fuel primer stays round im assuming you are refering to venting the fuel tank or faulty check valve but none the less it does, and checking for spark ... just ground the plug and turnover the engne to do so? are you trying to eliminate a bad coil? or fouled plug or somethng along those lines. i had originally thought it might be a bad coil but wasnt sure how to test. i also thought it would probalbly run on two other cylinders. off hand i cant remember if it had individual coils i have to check

Get yourself a spark tester it will be easier to check for spark. A timing light will also do the job.

When the engine stalls pull the plugs first and look for water then check for spark.

Back