Logo

9.8hp need help!

bigdady

i just got a mercury 9.8hp outboard motor from my uncle he said it was froze up and he didnt want to bother fixing it so i took it home and let some marvel mystery oil sit in it and a day later the motor was fixed it had compression and the prop spun. there are a few simple parts i need to fix this motor but the problem is i cant read the serial number. the label is 90% worn away so i dont know what year or model it is please help.
i know its a 110 model 9.8hp thunderbolt igition thats all.

Look on the block for a silver freeze plug.If it has one it will show the #.
What's the comp reading? Holding your finger over the hole isin't a good way to tell.Use a guage:)
Profile?.J

Go to the top of this page.Look for boat engine parts.Start there and look for your motor.It might take a bit of looking.Start there and follow the steps to the model and serial#s and open each one till you find what you need
Without #s it's impossible for me to know what I'm looking for.
Can you read any #s on the tag??

i rewired the whole motor and got new spark plugs. the engine fires and runs but the lower unit is broken but i cant figure out how to remove the lower unit

One nut in the front (visible) and one in the lower back near the water inlet screen. If both of those are removed and it doesn't want to drop, smack it with a rubber hammer.

Jeff

okay well thats done i replaced it and the water pump is working the very last thing i need before i can put my motor in the water, i need three parts but cant find them. i need the outside actual shift lever the throttle twist handle itself and the little ring that slips over the end of the shift rod that turns the downward gear to shift the motor. please post some links?

Back