Logo

dt 55 gear problems

slim1122

hi all I'm new to all this outboard stuff and need some help. it's dt55 1985 I think. had some probs getting it running had the carbs ultarsonic cleaned and started first time so in the water it went for a test. warmed her up put it into gear and of down the river I went just on tick over great. then I started to open her up and lost drive. turned her off checked and all looked ok so I tryed again went great on tick over but lost drive again when I opened her. I had a look at a parts diagram and the only thing I can see it being is drive shaft gear or the sliding clutch. can any one help?

Slim 1122,

I have the same engine and the exactsame problem. I bought my boat new back in 1985 and had no major problems until now. Do you have a solution yet?
Catwalk

Thank you. Will find out what I can as well. It may be something simple due to the fact that we have the same problem which may indicate a common occurrence.

I was thinking about it last night. what was the chance of the clutch going on both sides at the same time ( forword and reverse)? very slim so it must be down to adjustment. going to have a look after work today

Soon someone will see your Post who has had the same problem and share his or her solution with you/us. In the mean time I will keep looking as well.

was that on the same motor I didn't see a rubber bush in the diagram?
had a look at it today and found the clutch rod seal fouling the selector

Back