Logo

Newbie Needs Help On 5 year Old 150 No Service!

Miami66

Newbie Here! My wife and I are looking to buy our first boat.Looked at a 2005 Hurricane GS 202 deckboat with aYamaha 150.Boat has been in fresh water only.Barn kept.Looks great Just what we are looking for till.......As we took it out on the river we noticed hesistation at times and running rough.Shows 140 hrs.The owner was very honest and told us he has never serviced the motor!!!! and it has been sitting in his barn for months. I will have it looked at by a mechanic.My question is : Should I bother with it? Is 5yrs without service going to limit the life of the motor? I'm I in for very costly repairs on just simply service? In addition the speedometer,other gauges are not functioning.THanks in advance.:confused::confused:

Carlos

Sorry.150TXRD 4 stroke. Yamaha 2005. 140 hours, and never serviced! The owner was very honest in telling me he never serviced it (original owner).I'm I asking for trouble?

If I were looking at buying it, I would agree on a price with the owner before getting the service done. (Sale would be subject to a good report, and the engine running as expected) I would then get the owner to get it serviced by a mechanic of your choice, and of course at their expense, then, if all was good, I would buy it. The price negootiated would include the cost of the service of course, but not your expense if it is a dud. I would also expect to be present while the service was done and the subsequent sea trial.

I suggest, have to do service before you going to buy the engine and better you do full inspection by mechanic. like sea trial and check the water impeller
as well.

Back