Logo

671 T 4 valve 330 HP- in Bertram 42 FBMY what is the exact oil capacity?

The 671 Turbo installed in Bertrams is rotated about 45% to the side because the sole is lower in the Bertram than, for example, the Hatteras. This means that the oil pan could be different. So I have a 671 manual that shows a shallow and a deep oil pan option. The deep pan shows 31 quarts as capacity of the pan and another 2 in the filter or a little over 8 gallons. The two years I have owned the boat I kept it topped up to the line on the oil stick. When I pumped off all the oil this year to do an oil change I removed almost 10 gallons and it was not coolant or water in the oil. Good oil, nearly 10 gallons.
So what is the correct oil amount for this install of this engine? When I put in 7 Gallons and 3 quarts in the pan (per the manual) it barely touches the oil stick. Same on both engines. adding another 2 quarts for filter, this is a little more than 8 gallons and shows 1/4 inch on the stick.
This engine has also been smoky at 1300 and up. Running this lower level, no smoke. Was this engine over-oiled? I need to know the capacity for a 671 BERTRAM FBMY installation, because I am told the Hatteras 671 install was straight up and the bertram not, leading to a possible different oil pan configuration. The converse risk is that it now may be under-oiled....

Back