Logo

1987 115 hp yamaha no fire on 1 & 3

O.K., so I went to the library and got all the info on testing stator, coils, all the good stuff. All test were great. Ground wires are all good, coils are all good, stator is good, but every way I test, I get no fire to the Starbord cylinders. I would have to assume it's a bad CDI unit. Anyone have any other ideas. I've tested with a timing light, shoving a phillips screw driver into the plug wire and holding it close to ground looking for a spark arcing to ground. Putting sticking a good spark plug into the wire and grounding it looking for an arc at the gap. Port side fire good, no spark at starbord side.
Any ideas would be appreciated. There was a huge chart in the repair manual at the library, but their copier was down. It was a series of tests on the cdi and what the ohm reading should be. If anyone has that page of the repair manual it would be great to have. The only library in my area that has the book is 45 miles away, so I'd rather not make the trip again and it's too much information to simply write it all down. The librarian says there's no money in the budget to replace the huge coin operated copier that they use in libraries. Actually, it has a card reader and is not coin operated. You have to pay to have credits put on your library card and scan it to make copies. Yeah, I know - too much information. Sorry, I get carried away sometimes.

Thanks for the help!

Re: 1987 115 yamaha no fire on 1 & 3

Before you purchase anything, look up under the flywheel and make sure the magnets are still in place and not loose. You should be able to feel them without removing the flywheel.

Re: 1987 115 yamaha no fire on 1 & 3

Waaaay ahead of you. Flywheel was removed and everything under there was cleaned and rust sanded off. All looks good. I'll try again today to see if the wiggling of wires and cleaning of everything fixed the problem.

Back