Logo

Reinforcing My Transom

bigfrank7313

Greetings to all, I own a chris craft cuddy 21 footer which I went ahead this year and upgrade from a 2 stroke to a Yamaha 4 stroke. The problem is that my transom is warping from the top part of the transom. I redid the transom about three years ago. I believe this happens because most of the tension and pulling occurs in this spot. My question is, how do I reinforce my transom so I won’t sink or lose my engine? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Frank

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 336
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 427
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 331
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 389
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 444
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 425
Looks like the transom is not connected to the gunwale cap. I would run a piece of plywood (or 2) along the underside of the gunwale cap down inside over the transom. Glass it in with some heavy woven. Without the cap attatched well to the transom you're basicly just bending a piece of plywood. If there is not enough lip for plywood maybe a pice of 1/4" plate the width of the stern. You have to tie in the top to make it all one unit. That 4 stroke is a pretty heavy, but excellent, motor.

This weekend i am going to place a aluminum plate 45" by 36" 3/8" thick.that way i can remove all of the smaller plates. that way it will distribute the weight more evenly.What do you think?

You're right on the money Frank. The glass job looked good and 3 ply is perfect. All you need to do is tie the top of the transom together and you're golden. If you are going to use a plate, try to bend the last 6" or 8" (can't really tell from the photos how high) at the angle the gunwale cap comes up from the transom and bolt them together. Remember, the goal is to tie the transom cap to the top of the transom. That is a sturdy hull once everything is connected together. Good Luck!

I disagree. The POD you have installed on the I/O converted boat is what's causing your transom to bow. In order to keep this from occuring you will need to install transom Knees. It's the ONLY way to keep the weight of the motor from bowing the top of the transom outward. Boat was NOT designed for this type of stress so to MAKE it handle this stress the Knees will need to be installed.

Back