Logo

Electrolysis and marine growth

captal

Contributing Member
Just pulled my 29' Luhrs for some bottom work. Had about 3 years on a good ablative paint job. Paint started to show through in a few places and had some barnacles on the hardware but not excessive. Now for the good part. The starboard engine water intake was heavy with barnacles, almost to the point of being stopped up but the port intake did not have a single barnacle on it????????? My guess is the bond came lose on it. I checked it over real good on the outside and it had no pitting or corrosion? It's a bronze fitting. Now the question. The intakes are only connected to the system by rubber hose. There is no electrical connection to the boat, other than bonding. Does the bonding make the marine growth grow more? If so would I be better not to bond the intakes? If they were not bonded would they deteriorate (the port intake didn't at all) eventually?
I'm goiing to put a meter on it tomorrow to see if the bond is indeed not connected. Just wondered if anyone else had ever seen this kind of problem. Thanks!!!

I think the two are uncorrelated (independent) events.

Check around with your 'locals', especially the Yard Foremen" type....could be a 'local conditions' set of circumstances that us "almost Yankees" never see.

Didn't think about the sunlight angle but the side with the most growth was in the shade. And for the independent events, had to be one hell of an event to keep two identical intakes that are 2 feet apart so different. Thats my puzzle. One intake totally covered, the other not one single barnacle. I'm gettin' a bald spot from scratching my head????

The bonding system shouldn't have any impact on barnacle growth.

Are you sure it is barnacles and not galvanic corrosion? Two different beast...

I agree, or so I thought. Yep it was barnacles, and oysters, and alge, and other crazy marine critters. But the other is spotless. I'm going to try to put a meter on it this weekend just to check if the clean one does have a bond or not. I'll keep ya'll posted!!

Back