Logo

seamist 2

seamist 2

Hi there.
New novice but be grateful for assistance. Just bought boat with 2006 50hp Suzuki DF outboard engine. Engine serviced, battery charged. Boat taken out all working perfectly, engine starting everytime no problems. Suddenly engine would not start, clicking coming from starter motor but not turning over engine. fuel pump charging could be heard. Seemed as if massive battery drain cos trim tilt stopped working and everything faded eletrical on engine and yet fishfinder GPS working no probs and 12.2 volts showing on battery! Towed in. Fitted new heavy duty battery at mooring, engine started and ran perfectly on rope pull but starter motor or solonoid still clicking and would not turn engine. Must repair myself all cash spent on purchase! any help greatly appreciated.
Many thanks to anybody who can help!
Glynn

hi, I suggest, check the battery. It shows 12.2 volts does not mean that it has cranking power and after using the boat keep turn off the battery switch and other electrical accessories. :)

Hi there and thank you for your comment. Have now sorted the problem and was totally amazed with what I found! The main positive cable from the engine had been joined to the main battery power cable by two spade ends of metal with a hole drilled in each. They were joined with a stainless steel bolt and then covered with normal red tape and left in the side of the boat under the deck. Small amounts of sea water had obviously seeped in over the past 3 years since the boat was built and as I lifted the cable to pull it into the light the joint and ends of the cable at the joint simply disintegrated! Cables cut back new waterproof joint made and all systems go! 13.2 V at the battery and 14.4 when engine running. May be of interest to some body!

Back