Logo

What year is this Classic50, plus other questions!

T4-Teg

OK I just bought a 16' Caprice with a Merc Classic50 45hp engine. I really dont know much about it at this point, im pretty new to the boat scene, but wanting to learn. The boat was probably sitting for a little over 6 months, but started right up even with his gas can with who knows how old gas.

The previous owner said he thinks the engine is a 1987 model but not sure. The Serial number is 0B357059. The other ID plate on the engine is completly blank, Im assuming the printed marks faded away over the years, but not sure?

Im really neeing to buy some tuneup parts for the engine, as well as a manual for it.

The other questions I have is the running conditions of the engine. When its cold with the fast idle lever up, it will start up pretty much first try, and you have to wait atleast 30 seconds for the engine to warm up before you can put the fast idle lever all the way down and begin to drive. I assume this is normal?

The other main concern is after fishing for a little bit the engine is VERY hard to get started. I have to use choke, fast idle lever, and just put it in gear really fast and give it some heavy throttle or it just dies. Again, after 5 minuits and I finally get it started i have to use the fast idle lever to keep it running, and I have to let it free rev for atleast 30 seconds for it to stay running at idle.

The final problem is that when I give it full throttle, after just a few seconds I hear a stedy beeeeepppp.. Once I herd that I immediatly let it idle and the alarm stopped. It will only do it if I try to go full throttle. I have been only using 3/4 throttle or less and no alarms at all. I only heard the alarm twice, the second time only to verify it would do it again.

Now, I pulled the plugs and they dont look too old, but I want to replace the plugs, wires. I want to replace the water pump, and thermostat (does it have a t-stat?). And I am going to clean all the ground wires(some look a little corroded)

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance for any info!!!

-Mike

When ever someone buys a used motor , it must have a new impeller installed.The beep indicates overheat ( serious problem )--------No thermostat on the 4 cylinder I believe.------------Clean the carburetors before using the motor again !-------Hope you are not using an " autoblend oiler " system as they are not reliable.

I get 1988.would suggest a set of plugs,do the impellor,change g/box oil,clean carbs out thoroughly,use fine wire for the jets,[or welding tip cleaners,if your careful].check your fuel supply from the tank all the way through.

Awesome guys thanks for the quick replies. Now I've been reading the carbs are a pain to take off, does any of the "carb cleaner" crap work, or should I just go ahead and remove the carbs and clean them?

I will do the impellor, clean carbs, and other maint. before I use the boat again for sure.

One more question, I am mixing the gas and oil at a 50:1 ratio with synthetic 2 stroke oil. Should I use Premium gas? I dont mind spending the extra couple cents if it will help run a bit better.

Thanks gain guys.

Carburetor cleaner AKA " mechanic in a can " is on the shelf because people buy the stuff !!-------------Outboard carburetors must be taken apart for cleaning !They are elegantly simple to do.---------------Remember , a blocked carburetor means no fuel and ---NO OIL ---going into 2 cylinders.

Thanks alot. I am going to remove the carbs and clean them. I have already done a compression test and have exactly 125psi on all 4 cylinders, so that made me really happy.

Should I run 93 octane gas in this engine? I have one guy telling me to use only 93 gas, but several others say to just use regular 87 octane. I really dont mind spending the extra couple cents on 93 if it will make it even run slightly better.

Impeller, plugs, and wires are being changed tomorrow. After that I will take it out on the water and see how it runs. If its still taking a long time to start, I will pull the carbs and clean them.

Thanks guys

Back