Logo

1996 Yamaha 115 hp overheat alarm

nochiefs

Here it goes. Alarm comes on around 4000-4500 rpms. Have replaced thermostats,waterpump impeller and housing and check valve with newer button type. Jackets were pulled and cleaned 3 years ago. Alarm still sounds , flow is good. Checked seat on check valve, clean. Ran motor with thermostats and covers out , appears to have good volume. Any suggestions on where to turn to or try next.

Re: 1996 Yamaha 115 overheat alarm

What brand water pump did you install. After market pumps don't work as well as the factory pump. Did you reinstall the impeller lock ring on the shaft? If all is good with the thing you have described, I would say that the pump is cavitating at higher RPM's.

Yamaha OE pump kit and housing, new lock ring assembly. All parts installed were yamaha factory parts. Thanks for your suggestion. The high rpm overheat alarm problem started before I replaced all these parts and although some were due for replacement. I was trying to take care of most common and easiest repairs before I tackled more complex issues.

If the by-pass is working correctly and the pump is doing it's job, it's time to get an inferred temp gun and check the engine temp when the overheat alarm goes off.

if it still goes off with thermostats out, your sensors are bad, or you did not seal the water pump cup

hi kindly specify the engine. is it two stroke or four stroke. if it`s two stroke then I suggest check the proper installation of water pump, check the water intake hole which is located under the power unit. check the proper parts of the water pump. if four stroke then check the water line and i must agree with
justintime. thanks.

Back