Logo

Motor cuts out at full throttle 2005 25 hp

byron9393

I have an 05, 25hp 4 stroke that starts and idels perfectly. When I throttle up it will get on plane and then just cut out. It may or may not die and acts as if it has run out of gas. If it does die it will start right back up very quick and easy. I have replaced the fuel hose, cleaned the fuel joint/tank/fuel bowel and now do not know were to go other than clean/rebuild carb. The first time it did this I could not give it any gas at all or it would die.(I had to idle 5+miles back home). I gave it a good Seafoam treatment down the air intake and let set for 10 min. then ran it out. (did this several times) Motor ran real good for 1 day. Now it is doing the same thing only this time I can at least get it up on plane for a 100yrds. or so. I am thinking a possible obstruction in one of the jets, or maybe a stuck float.
Any suggestions on what else I should be checking out? Thanks for your help.

Re: Motor cuts out at full throttle

Put a timing light on it , see how spark behaves when it " cuts out "---------------You need to verify if it is a fuel or electrical problem !!!----------How does it behave when you operate your manual pump ??

I'm not sure as to how I would put a timing light on it while running on the water. When I run on land nothing seems to happen. Maybe I'm not giving it enuff throtle. The bulb seems to be keeping pressure and makes no diff. when I try to pump it.
Thanks

You hook up the timing light on the plugs ---------Lay the light on one of the seats / floor.-------------------observe the light when the motor acts up-----------------seems easy enuff to me .

Thank you. I have not used a timing light in 20+yrs. and then only to check the timing. I am not a mech. I have tore apart motors and transmissions and rebuilt them and various other mechanical jobs on my cars/trucks yrs. ago. Not because I enjoyed it or new what I was doing, but out of necessity. They always worked. So if I sound ignorant and ask a dumb ?. I am.
Thanks agin for the quick response. I will try the timing light first chance and go from there.

If you don't have a repair manual for the motor, you can probably find one in your public library. It will give you some good information on lining up the timing marks pretty close while it's not running. I would try that and make adjustments by the book at the idle position and at the wide open throttle (WOT) position. If it takes a lot of adjustment, that's probably the problem. This is not an exact adjustment, but it's pretty darn close and should fix your problem.

Thanks to the replys. Motor fixed. Got me a Yamaha manuel. Rebuilt/cleaned the carb., replaced fuel lines, checked timeing and replaced fuel pump. Runs like a champ.

hi, my name is Francis and I`m new in here. I just saw your problem and my suggestion is check the spark plugs, is they are dirty
or deposits lot of carbon then change or clean them and check the fuel lines, check the fuel filter is that old or get clogged if so, change
it if necessary. I hope this solutions will fixed your problem. please reply me if the problem is fixed [email protected]. Thank you.

Back