Logo

What Tools Are Needed For Deconstruction?

DavidW2009

Regular Contributor
I need to get a list of tools together for deconstructing of a deck, stringers and transom in my project boat.

I have a saws-all, and a 6" or 7" rotary saw, various prybars, hammers and a few wood chisels. That's all.

I need advice on rotary grinder, type of disks and type of blades to use on the saws. Thanks.

(I have a list of safety equipment and plan on suiting up before grinding, etc..)

That should be enough to get the old stuff out.

I'd avoid the circular saw on anything large - they seem to bind up on anything that flexes a bit.

I prefer the 3M surfacing discs on fiberglass - size determined by the project at hand.

on the sawzall, milwaukee has a tungsten carbide blade that they recommend for fiberglass - their general purpose 8-10tpi blades should work just as well.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to buy a 4 1/2" angle grinder and some disks. That will probably be necessary to get in close to the hull, cutting out bulheads and deck.

Get a Flap Disk for your angle grinder which will last much longer. When you use the circular saw be absolutely sure to set the blade depth or you will cut through something extra!

Oh yeah, tyvek suit, dust mask, safety glasses or goggles, duct tape (to seal up the sleeves on the suit). Fiberglass dust is NOT friendly to your lungs so be cautious.

Thanks for the reply, Gotboat.

I bought an agle grinder from Harbour Frt and a pack of metal cutting disks for about $19.00.

The grinder was on sale for $10.00. If it lasts this job, it will be worth it.

The shop that will be installing the new stingers, deck and transom told me not to grind everything down. They will do that.

All I need to do is get the big pieces out.

I am a purist (spelled cheap!!) and if I took out the big pieces I just would have continues on to the re-assembly and kept the dollars in my wallet!

Still be careful when grinding and use the proper safety precautions.

Back