Logo

choosing type of plywood for glassed over deck...advice.

captain_ed

Regular Contributor
I am replacing the fiberglass fuel tanks in my 1977 Jersey Dawn 40 sportfish due to "evil-nol". The rear deck must come out and be replaced. My deck is currently 3/4"ply with 1/4" teak planks that have been glassed over. The total thickness is approximately 1".

I am not a boat builder, but have experience. I did the decks in my fathers 26 Trojan with 3/4" marine ply and glassed with 6 oz. cloth followed by interlux perfection with non-skid additive. It held up very well. I then helped a friend do the same to his 32 Trojan. He chose to go with much less expensive hardwood cabinet grade plywood from home depot. I really don't know the differences between the 2 plywoods. Because I fiberglassed over the plywood, does it really matter wich plywood to use?

My other problem will be the 1" thickness. Does anyone know where to get 10 ft. sheets of 1" thick ply???? I am considering laminating a 3/4" sheet to a 1/4" sheet using west system epoxy??? Thoughts????Suggestions???

Advice appreciated!

Aruaco Plywood is very good deck plywood. I'd recommend laminating two 1/2" pieces together to get the 1" thickness you need. You don't need epoxy. Very expensive. Polyester Resin with Chopped Strand Mat will work great. Here's a Pic of how I recommend making decks...
You don't have to use the 1708 for the final layer. 2-3 layers of CSM will work just fine and then finish with rolled waxed gelcoat.

attachment.php

Back