Logo

1975 chrysler skier boat and trailer garage kept for 20 years

bakerpd

I just came into a boat and trailer. Boat and trailer has been kept under carport and not ran for the past 20 years. I cleaned up boat have it looking real good. Have not fired it up yet. Was wanting to know what I should do first before I start it ... Fuel Mixture ETC....

Gas is 50-1 1 pint to 6 gal. Clean carb. and replace all the hoses.Any quick connects are probably bad.Do a compression/spark test first.
If it starts then you probably will need to rebuild the fuel pump.J

Your story sounds very similar to mine. Last winter I also got a boat that has been stored in a barn for 20 some years. The owner was dying and going through belongings and apparently forgot he had the boat. His grandson got it but discovered the floor/deck had rotted from being soaked with water from the leaking roof in the barn so he didn't want to mess with it. I found this boat on craigs list and it was only about 8 miles up the road from me. I went and looked at it and fell in love with it so ta speak right away. It is a 1976 Arrow Glass Cheetah with a Chrysler 135 outboard. All we did was get a fresh tank of gas and it fired right up and ran very well. Of course I did change the water pump impeller right away. I did a compression test and it has 145-150 on all 4 cylinders which is great. I ordered carb overhaul kits along with a fuel pump rebuild kit and am going to change all the hoses. I took the gear case off and replaced the seals on the top side where the water pump is but now want to do the lower seals as well. I can't get the bearing carrier out as of yet.

Your probably going to do the same thing I am doing since it has been sitting so long. I wouldn't take the boat out in the water without doing the carbs and making sure the gear case is sealed up good with fresh oil along with a new impeller. If your mechanically inclined it's all pretty simple really you just need tools, time & patience. It will be all worthwhile when it's done.

Good luck,

Nick

Hey

I actually turned it over today, Hooked up car battery and just turned it over once. I think it did everything that it was supposed to do. Going to buy new battery and water pump and fuel pump monday and try and fire it up..... the motor is a 700 Chrysler Skier... are you sure about the Fuel Mix???

Back