Logo

Help me ID my Johnson.

PennDude

So I bought a boat that came with this Johnson Motor and I have no idea what oil mixture it takes. I can't tell what year it is and while looking for the serial number I've found many different numbers. Here's a picture of the motor.

2011-03-19_13-30-01_247.jpg

The closest number I found that would resemble a s/n is R8523321. Here's a picture of where I found it.

2011-03-19_12-37-57_242.jpg

Is anybody able to tell me what year and horsepower this motor is? I don't particularly trust the sticker saying 20 hp because most of the lakes around here have a 20 hp limit and guys will just throw those stickers on there.

Thanks in advance.

Somebody likely painted over it.------------------------According to the graphics on the cowling ( if original ) the motor is somewhere around an 87/ 88 / 89 model.

Somebody likely painted over it.------------------------According to the graphics on the cowling ( if original ) the motor is somewhere around an 87/ 88 / 89 model.

Is the s/n located somewhere on the engine? I can't imagine that the manufacturer would only put one identifying mark on the entire unit.

Hello PennDude,

the second best way to ID is the way RacerOne has by matching the engine cowl here is a list of drawings for you to go over when you have matched it you will also have the drawings for parts Click Here

Back