Logo

MODIFYING A 350 FOR MORE SPEED

R

ROD BALOGH

" I OWN A 24 FOOT CIGARETTE TY

" I OWN A 24 FOOT CIGARETTE TYPE BOAT WITH A 350 CI.ENGINE. IM PRESENTLY RUNING 60 MPH AND WOULD LIKE TO RUN BETWEEN 65 AND 70 MPH. I HAVE ALREADY TRYED DIFFERENT PROPS AND GAINED ONLY 5 MPH. THE MOTOR ALREADY HAS AN ALUMINUM INTAKE AND AN EDDIE MARINE THROUGH TRANSOM EXHAUST MANIFOLD. I WOULD NOW LIKE TO CHANGE THE CAM AND MAYBE INTAKE MANIFOLDS AND CARBURATOR IF NESESARY. I WOULD LIKE SUGESTIONS ON WHAT CAMS, INTAKE OR OR CARBURATOR TO USE. "

"If your small block is pushin

"If your small block is pushing a 24 ft. go-fast to nearly 70 now, it's already a very potent engine. This means going to a bigger carb, single plane intake and especially a big roller cam will move your motor into racing territory, adding 5-10 mph to top end, but making it very unhappy at lower rpm's. Small blocks can easily produce 400+ hp, but at this level or more, you will lose low-end torque noticeably and the boat will not get out of the hole as fast as before.

There are tons of hot marine parts from Edelbrock, Glenwood, Comp Cams and so forth, but my feeling is that you need more cubic inches or add a blower. As the saying goes, "how fast do you want to go? How much money you got?"

"

Back