Logo

Yamaha V4 1994 115 hp outboard engine that keeps cutting out.

Ryan Dongalen

My Yamaha Outboard V4 115hp 1994 motor starts but wont keep its revs up for very long. I've had issues with water in the fuel recently and had all old fuel and water flushed out of my tanks and motor. After having it all fixed the motor seem to run up to 40K rpm and as I pull back down to neutral, the motor cuts out. Tried to start it again but no joy as it starts up and revs up to 7-10k rpm then slowly cuts out again. I've replace new bulb primer and fuel lines including filter and checked for any leaks. Spark plugs have been replaced and are the correct ones. The carby has been taken apart and clean out. I cannot think of any reason why else this could be happening. I can rev the throttle and soon as I drop it down the engine cuts out. Only think I can think of is the fuel pump is buggered.

Need some advise on where else to look.

*I've tried turning the mischief pins on the carby to give it more fuel but still no joy.

Re: Yamaha V4 115hp outboard engine that keeps cutting out.

well carbs need a rebuild and a sync
water in the fuel just gummed those up

Thanks for the quick reply.

The carby got cleaned out and but I will ask my marine mechanic on looking at giving it another look as there could be more water that maybe in the fuel line that he may have missed. I'll post again in a week once I get the motor back. Could it be the fuel pump?

What does a compression test show ??---------------Spark should jump a gap of 3/8" on all 4 -----------Trouble shoot and test the stuff.

Back