Logo

Perkins TV8.510M dinosaurs

tortoiseandhare

I have a pair of TV8.510Ms in my boat. They are obsolete in that parts are no longer made for them. So far I've survived by machining some of our own parts and just making do, but the port engine now begins to overheat at speeds above 8 knots (above 1400 rpm or so), and also emits quite a bit of white smoke. My thought is I have a blown head gasket, but haven't done any compression or injector testing as yet. Also lost some coolant last season, another reason to suspect the blown gasket. The engines are 40 years old and my developing plan is to replace them with Cummins 6BTs, an engine I know I can get parts for and maintain properly.

Any thoughts, and is anyone looking for some rare TV8.510Ms?

With ref: to your message, i also have two Perkins TV8.510Ms in my boat (Cytra Senator 42) on purchase i also had an overheating problem on my Port engine, the fault turned out to be a completely blocked Exhaust Manifold on the right side of the engine. (carbon) Hope this helps with your problem. I to have also had problems getting spare parts for my engine, if you do part with yours i would be interested in obtaining some parts.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the note. I recently sold the two Perkins and they are pallets on their way to board a ship headed for France! The fellow who bought them has a boat there he is reconditioning - it was equipped with two Perkins TV8.510's also, but one engine was missing (as in not there). He plans to cobble together a running engine with leftovers for parts. I hope he succeeds - I will forward to him your comments about the blocked exhaust manifold.

Back