Logo

Perkins 4.236 Maximum rated RPM for marine application

Ralph Molinaro

I have come across several max RPM ratings for this engine, depending on application, as follows:

My "Perkins Handbook for Marine Diesel Engines" specifies the maximum engine output as "84-BHP @ 2800-RPM with the stipulation that "the maximum RPM is dependent on hull design as the correct engine rating should be matched to the duty of the boat." I use my full-displacement trawler boat strictly for pleasure cruising (no commercial fishing...)

The "Perkins Workshop Manual" lists three RPM ratings for different engine applications, as follows: 82-BHP @ 2800 RPM for "vehicle" applications; 81-BHP @ 2600-RPM for "general agricultural and industrial applications"; and 72-BHP @ 2200-RPM for "heavy duty agricultural and industrial applications".

With my current props (21"X13"X1.5") the engines top out at 2300 to 2400 RPM.
I am in the process of properly re-pitching my props, and I wonder if 2800 RPM is the proper maximum RPM target?

G'day Ralph,

Marine 4.236 perkins operating in my area have a max rpm of 2,600, and cruising rpm between 1800--2200 depending upon the vessels power needs ete ete.

Cheers, Shakey.

Back